Excerpt From Newsletter
Since Irenæus and Hippolytus have already done the heavy lifting for me in regard to explaining most of the parabolic imagery in the Book of Daniel and the Book of Revelation, I don’t have to run the risk of getting all puffed up (as some do) while showing you what I think I know about those things. I have already contributed my two cents’ worth on that subject in the footnotes to The Advent of Christ and AntiChrist.
In “The Light” of The Apostolic Teaching, it is obvious that Irenæus and Hippolytus understood the Truth about the deception planned by the venomous little man the Apostle John called “antichrist” (see “That’s Why He’s Called AntiChrist!” The Voice of Elijah®, April 1992; The Antichrist, and The Advent of Christ and AntiChrist on the Order Form). Therefore, it is probably best that we review some of what they said before we talk about how current events fit into Satan’s plan.
If you have read what the Early Church Fathers have written about the Antichrist, you already know how to recognize him. So rather than discussing all of his identifying characteristics, I’ll just review the crucial parts of what Irenæus and Hippolytus say about him. The most important thing to keep in mind concerning their description of the Antichrist are the two primary characteristics that will allow you to identify him with absolute certainty. First, he will come pretending to be Jesus Christ, while claiming to be the Messiah that Orthodox Jews have been expecting. Second, after the Jews accept him as their Messiah and make him king, he will rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem. That is what Hippolytus explains here:
- Christ is a lion, so Antichrist is also a lion;
- Christ is a king, so Antichrist is also a king.
- The Saviour was manifested as a lamb; so he too, in like manner, will appear as a lamb, though within he is a wolf.
- The Saviour came into the world in the circumcision, and he will come in the same manner.
- The Lord sent apostles among all the nations, and he in like manner will send false apostles.
- The Saviour gathered together the sheep that were scattered abroad, and he in like manner will bring together a people that is scattered abroad.
- The Lord gave a seal to those who believed on Him, and he will give one in like manner.
- The Saviour appeared in the form of man, and he too will come in the form of a man.
- The Saviour raised up and showed His holy flesh like a temple, and he will raise a temple of stone in Jerusalem.
(Hippolytus, The Treatise of Christ and Antichrist; see also The AntiChrist, p. 34, and The Advent of Christ and AntiChrist, pp. 147–148.)
“Is This Enough ‘Distress’ for You? No Matter; More’s Coming,” The Voice of Elijah®, October 2001, p. 2
|Author||Larry Dee Harper|
The Truth is Available
Check Out the Online Library
Browse through our library of booklets and newsletters—absolutely free!Start Reading Now